Wednesday, November 5, 2008

NAAAMMMEE NAHI SUNE SAAR

Often out of affection, the workers at my college mess ask me “SAAR, aap ka ghar kahan padta hai SAAR” (where is your home sir) and I reply to it saying “Himachal main” in the most obvious manner. The reaction I always get is “naaammee nahi sune hain SAAR” (never even heard the name of it sir). Well of course they are people who are illiterate and have never traveled beyond 50KM diameter of their villages, so quite frankly everyone who comes here is an alien for them with their varying ethnicity, but with me it’s like rest of the students are just creatures of a different planet, I belong to a completely different galaxy.
Most of them are humble enough to acknowledge their ignorance and ask me “yeh kahan padta hai SAAR” but a lot of them try to figure the location of my state as relative the farthest they have heard of like Delhi, Rajasthan etc. I normally end the discussion by saying “yeh pahadon main padta hai” (my home’s in the mountains).
Well I don’t know if they have ever been to the mountains either but one thing for sure, in some weird way, it makes me someone special for them and I get excellent service in the mess all the time.

No comments: